There are two ways to find a dataset in Dapper.
From the Dapper main page.
- Use the link on the data page to go to the Dapper page of the desired dataset.
- Traverse the directory structure to find the dataset.
- For example, "NCEP precipitation" are in "aggregations -> cpc.ncep.noaa.gov -> precip".
Note: Find the directory(s) -> dataset and make OPeNDAP URL like this:
- Jump to OPeNDAP dataset page.
OPeNDAP dataset page
- The dataset lists different categories in a dataset.
- For example, NCEP precipitation listing 1 entry on the dapper server, which looks like this:
- For example, NCEP precipitation datasets with daily/monthly/pentad is inside "gpi" directory.
- For example, "NCEP precipitation daily" are listing on "daily" row.
- The OPeNDAP URL is on the URL column.
For example, "NCEP precipitation" OPeNDAP URL looks like this:
- OPeNDAP URL:
- For example, "NCEP precipitation daily" OPeNDAP URL is:
- Click info to know more for dataset OPeNDAP information page.
- Data Attribute Structure (das): contains information about the data such as the name of the variable, its unit, and its type.
- Dataset Descriptor Structure (dds): contains a description of the structure of the data.
- Information (info): contains detailed information about the data in a more readable format.
For example, "NCEP precipitation daily" information page:
- After determining the OPeNDAP URL, users can access data by referring to their favorite client tool's tutorial.